Thousands of households on prepayment energy meters can get £98 bill help – here's how | The Sun

THOUSANDS of households could get nearly £100 towards their pay as you go key meters or smart meters to help with energy bill.s

The support comes as part of the Household Support Fund (HSF), a £1.5billion to help millions of struggling people through the cost of living crisis.

The money is dished out to local councils, which decide what help to provide in their area and who is eligible.

The scheme had been due to end in March, but Chancellor Rishi Sunak announced it will now run until at least September 30.

The fund was doubled to £1billion in March as part of the Spring Budget, and a further £500 million was added to the fund in May as Mr Sunak unveiled a raft of other supportive measures.

Read more in Money

Sainsbury’s shoppers unable to pay for groceries with contactless due to glitch

Greggs launches new menu items – but fans want something different back instead

To get hold of money from the HSF, struggling families can usually apply to their local council for the emergency grants, which can help to cover energy, food, and water costs.

Who is eligible for £98?

Households in East Devon with key meter or smart energy meters that are pay as you go and topped up in a shop, may be eligible for the £98.

Citizens Advice East Devon said it was hoping to support low income families and those of pension age with the voucher.

Most read in Money


When will £650 cost of living payments be made? All the key dates revealed


Ordinary looking home in Cotswolds hides an exotic secret in the garden


Six Universal Credit changes you need to know – or risk having payments STOPPED


I sold my neighbour's HOUSE after they sued me over 3in of extension

It said partnership agencies may refer clients for the scheme, but will also accept self-referrals.

Eligible residents have until September 30 to apply, but it's best to act sooner rather than later in case the money runs out.

There's a form on Citizens Advice East Devon's website, which should only take around 10 minutes to complete if you want to apply.

Alternatively, you can call 01395 265070.

You will have to be quick to get your £98 voucher, as they will be allocated on a first come first serve basis until they run out.

The Sun has asked how soon you can expect to receive the voucher after applying and will update this story when we know more.

Can I get help if I live elsewhere?

Yes. Most councils have been given a pool of money to distribute to people in their area.

You can contact your local council or look on its website to see what help is available where you live, and if you qualify.

You can find yours, by using the government's local council checker tool and entering your postcode.

Some councils will dish out the help automatically, while others require you to apply.

In East Devon, the £98 voucher is being allocated by the district's Citizens Advice branch.

It has a form on its website where you can apply.

There is also an email address if you have any questions about submitting the form, which is [email protected]

Elsewhere, Torbay Council is giving eligible cash-strapped residents a maximum of £50 towards food, and where necessary, another £50 towards energy bills.

Meanwhile, in Kensington and Chelsea residents can grab up to £150 to help cover household bills, food and clothing.

If you're not eligible for the HSF but still require help, there are other support packages you can take advantage of.

For example, big name energy providers have stepped in to help, offering grants that hard-up bill payers can take advantage of.

Charities and organisations may also be able to help, on top of the providers that offer their own grants.

Read More on The Sun

I’m a teacher – I let my kids doodle and talk about their feelings

People left stunned by VERY unusual passenger in the cabin mid-flight

If you are worried about the cost of living or debt, then a number of charities may also be able to offer free advice or help:

  • National Debtline – 0808 808 4000
  • Step Change – 0800 138 1111
  • Citizens Advice – 0808 800 9060

We pay for your stories!

Do you have a story for The Sun Online Money team?

Email us at [email protected]

    Source: Read Full Article