The Met Office has issued an amber weather warning for "extreme heat" in parts of the UK as the summer turns into a scorcher and many people will be questioning if it is safe to walk their dogs.
A French Bulldog tragically died of heatstroke after a midday walk in Scotland and breeds with flat faces may be particularly at risk of serious illness and death.
The pooch showed no signs of overheating according to his grieving owner and simply went limp after having a drink at home.
Unrelated to this sad story, TikToker @siancoffey7 has shared a quick way to check if it definitely too hot to walk your dog.
They show doorbell cam footage of a person walking their dog down a sunny street.
It appears that the dog darts across the road to get to a patch of shade provided by a hedge.
"Watch the dog run for the shade, as the floor was boiling," they commented.
"If you cannot hold the back of your hand on the floor for five seconds, it's too hot."
The video has been watched nearly half a million times since it was uploaded three days ago on July 16 and many people were in agreement.
Lost dog spent three hours swimming out at sea before coastguard’s heroic rescue
One user said: "Every dog owner should know this. If you disagree with this, you're the problem."
A second viewer shared: "I work in a pub and the amount of people who bring their dogs out in the heat annoys me so much.
"They often don't bring water either. Lucky we provide it."
"A dog won't die from not being walked for a day, it will die from being walked in this heat," commented another person.
Someone else said: "It was way too hot for dogs to be out today, didn't take mine out for walks at all."
According to the RSPCA, dogs need exercise "even when it's hot" but it needs to be done safely.
The organisation advises owners to walk their dog in the morning or evening when it's cooler to reduce the risk of heatstroke and burning their paws on the pavement.
Signs of heatstroke in dogs include heavy panting, excessive drooling, lethargy, drowsiness, uncoordinated movements, going limp, and vomiting.
Source: Read Full Article