OSCAR DE LA HOYA’S comeback has been POSTPONED after the boxing legend was hospitalised due to coronavirus.
The 48-year-old has not battled between the ropes since he was stopped by Manny Pacquiao in December 2008.
But he shocked the world earlier this year when he announced he was going to pull on the gloves again after 13 years.
Golden Boy was scheduled to fight ex-UFC light heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort in the main event of a Triller Fight Club card next Saturday.
Now he has revealed the showdown is OFF – for now at least – as he posted a video from his hospital bed.
De La Hoya tweeted: “Wanted you to hear directly from me that despite being fully vaccinated, I have contracted Covid and am not going to be able to fight next weekend.”
The dejected De La Hoya then said in the clip: “What are the chances of me getting Covid?
“I’ve been taking care of myself. This has really, really kicked my ass.”
BETTING SPECIAL – GET 20/1 ON ENGLAND TO BEAT ANDORRA
The former six-weight world champion could now be replaced by a real heavyweight name.
Triller’s Ryan Kavanaugh confirmed they are attempting to secure 58-year-old Evander Holyfield to fill in for him.
Holyfield still has not been approved by the California State Athletic Commission to box.
The Real Deal has not boxed since stopping Brian Nielsen in Denmark in May 2011.
Despite that, Kavanaugh confirmed he is attempting to land Holyfield as the replacement and said if California does not approve him then he is willing to move the fight away from Los Angeles.
He also cryptically hinted that he has another potential opponent in mind, saying: “And more coming.”
Source: Read Full Article