Kay Burley was absent from her Sky News show today after she broke lockdown restrictions, with an internal investigation underway.
The corporation is said to be ‘disappointed’ after the presenter flouted coronavirus tier two rules while out celebrating her 60th birthday at the weekend with colleagues.
According to Guido, Kay went to the Century Club in Soho to mark the occasion in a group of 10 that included three of her Sky colleagues.
They report that Kay’s party sat at two tables before going on to a nearby restaurant. A smaller group of four then returned to her home to continue the celebrations.
Kay apologised for ‘inadvertently’ breaking the restrictions in a statement posted on social media, and according to reports, Sky News is carrying out an internal inquiry to ‘review the conduct of the people involved’.
A spokesperson for Sky News told the Guardian: ‘We place the highest importance on complying with the government guidelines on Covid, and we expect all our people to comply.
‘We were disappointed to learn that a small number of Sky News staff may have engaged in activity that breached the guidelines.
‘Although this took place at a social event in personal time, we expect all our people to follow the rules that are in place for everyone. An internal process is under way to review the conduct of the people involved.’
Kay took to social media with a public statement of apology for her actions.
‘I want to apologise to you all for an error of judgment,’ she penned.
‘On Saturday night I was enjoying my 60th birthday at a Covid-compliant restaurant. I am embarrassed to say that later in the evening I inadvertently broke the rules.
‘I had been waiting for a taxi at 11pm to get home. Desperate for the loo I briefly popped into another restaurant to spend a penny. I can only apologise.’
Metro.co.uk has contacted Kay’s rep for comment.
Source: Read Full Article