4 people shot outside stadium as crowd run away from stands and hide in terror

Don’t miss a thing by getting the Daily Star’s biggest headlines straight to your inbox!

Crowds of people ran from their seats after hearing gunshots at Nationals Park in Washington.

Four people have been shot outside the baseball stadium on Saturday night.

Clips on social media show people fleeing the area and running away outside, while a tannoy urged attendees to stay inside the stadium.

According to the latest reports, at least four people have been shot outside the Third Base gate.

A large number of emergency services rushed to the scene and it's said one woman is receiving medical treatment inside, and one man has been taken to hospital via ambulance.

In one video on Twitter, the announcement can be overheard by worried ticket-holders.

“Ladies and gentlemen, your attention please,” an announcer at the stadium said. “At this time we ask that you to remain in the stadium. Please remain calm.”

The chaos unfolded as the team faced off against the San Diego Padres.

Players also ran into the stands to take family members to safety.

Fans were seen scrambling towards the exit and ducking for cover under tables, some jumped down from the seats and hid in the dugout.

  • Experts investigate mystery bottle of liquid found between skeleton's legs in burial pit

The gunshots were heard in the background of a live broadcast at the end of the top of the 6th inning.

Washington Police Department have confirmed the shooting.

They released a statement: "MPD is responding to a shooting in the 1500 block of South Capitol Street, SW, in which two people where shot outside of Nationals Park.

"This is currently an active investigation and it appears there is no ongoing threat at this time."

Initially, reports said there were two victims, but DC Police Department has now said two additional people walked into area hospitals for treatment of gunshot wounds.

The Washington Nationals game against San Diego Padres has been postponed.

Fans have been told to leave the stadium calmly after the incident.

South Capitol Street has been shut nearby with a swarm of police vehicles and blue lights in the road.

For the latest news and breaking stories from across the world, sign up to the Daily Star newsletter here.

  • Twitter
  • In the News

Source: Read Full Article