Common cold leaves pub manager unable to speak for eight months

Kaitlyn Grace was forced to use hand gestures to communicate and softly whisper after he voice failed to come back. 

The 28-year-old lost her voice when she came down with a cold while working in an Irish pub.

She then become worried as two months later, her voice failed to return. 

The cold had developed into a serious case of laryngitis as it left her unable to speak for eight months.

She revealed she was left in tears, fearing she would never speak again.

“I remember crying to my mum, saying that I was never going to have my voice back”

Kaitlyn Grace

“I was trying so hard to get out what I wanted to say and I knew that people couldn’t hear it so it wasn’t their fault, but I was just getting frustrated over the whole thing,” Kaitlyn, from Queensland, told Yahoo.

“I remember crying to my mum, saying that I was never going to have my voice back, and never going to be the way I was before. It was kind of hard.”

Doctors initially refused to send Ms Grace to a specialist despite her concerning symptoms.

It took her three months for her to be referred to an emergency ear, nose and throat doctor.

She revealed working behind a noisy bar while unable to speak ended up being too much for her. 

Kaitlyn was eventually diagnosed with left vocal nerve paralysis which had developed.

She was forced to undergo a treatment which saw her throat injected with a collagen-like substance.

The treatment was designed to strengthen her vocal chords so she could speak.

The Aussie revealed she burst out crying when she finally heard her voice again.

Kaitlyn said: “It was so instant. Then every time he did another injection, my voice was getting clearer and clearer. It was really cool.”

She may still have to undergo reconstructive surgery on her throat due to the nerve damage. 

The pub manager has however said she will now pay more attention to her body.

And she hailed the treatment for “saving” her voice – and hopes the nerve damage will heal on its own.

Kaitlyn said: “I know now I need to listen to my body really early, because I caught the common cold and continued working the whole time, so I don’t know if I did more damage by doing that.

“In hindsight I wish I took four or five days off and didn’t keep going back to work.”

The treatment set her back £3,200.

Source: Read Full Article