Kwinana Freeway's southbound lane has been closed and a bushfire emergency warning issued for people in eastern parts of Baldivis, with authorities warning lives and homes are at risk.
The warning is in place for people in the vicinity of Karnup Road, Young Road and Kwinana Freeway southbound in eastern parts of Baldivis in the City of Rockingham.
The fire started near the intersection of Karnup Road and Kwinana Freeway in Baldivis.
WHAT TO DO:
- It’s too late to leave, leaving now would be deadly.
- You need to shelter in your home in a room away from the fire front and make sure you can easily escape.
- You must shelter before the fire arrives, as the extreme heat will kill you well before the flames reach you.
- Close all doors and windows and turn off evaporative air conditioners, but keep water running through the system if possible.
- Choose a room with two exits and water such as a kitchen or laundry.
- If your home catches on fire and the conditions inside become unbearable, you need to get out and go to an area that has already been burnt.
- Protect yourself by wearing long sleeves and trousers, made from cotton or wool, and strong leather boots.
The bushfire is moving fast in a north easterly direction and residents were warned burning embers were likely to be blown around their homes.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Avoid the area and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
Kwinana Freeway southbound is closed between Safety Bay Road and Karnup Road.
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting travelmap.mainroads.wa.gov.au or by contacting the City of Rockingham.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
Visit emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Twitter: twitter.com/dfes_wa, Facebook: facebook.com/dfeswa, listen to ABC Local Radio, 6PR, or news bulletins.
Most Viewed in National
Source: Read Full Article