Mum furious after receiving mouldy brownies ‘meant for bin’ in delivery blunder

A fuming mum has shared shocking images of half-eaten and mouldy brownies sent to her by a take-away dessert company.

47-year-old Clare George had been looking after a poorly member of her family when her son ordered a batch of brownies from Sundae Gelato through JustEat.

But the family was left with a bad taste in their mouth when they discovered the brownies the company had sent them were covered in mould and were supposed to have been binned.

The Gloucester mum has blasted the company after she claimed they gave her the runaround for a refund which she felt could have easily resolved the issue, GloucestershireLive reports.

Both Sundae Gelato and JustEat have apologised for the incident and have vowed to investigate further – and Clare has since been refunded in full.

Clare told GloucesterLive: "My son rang me mortified. He had paid £30 for the desserts to share with his brothers and some friends.

"The boys had been eating the desserts when they had been watching a film so only had the light from the TV. They realised the chocolate one did not taste right and when they switched on the light they realised it was mouldy."

Clare’s son called Sundae Gelato to explain the situation. It has been claimed they were told to get in touch with Just Eat to get a refund.

Clare explained: "My son was told the desserts were frozen so they should have been fine. So I called Sundae Gelato and said we should have a refund or replacement order because of what had been delivered.

"They kept fobbing me off saying another order would be delivered but it never came, then told the owner would be in touch and they put the phone down on me. No one could have eaten that food.

"I am amazed no-one saw the mould on the food before it left the shop. It is lucky the kids did not end up with food poisoning."

A spokesperson for the Gloucester branch of Sundae Gelato said the staff member who packed the order had been "newly trained" and the delay in refund was due to

They said: “We are regrettably sorry about Clare George's experience in our restaurant. We take health and safety very seriously here.

“We try our absolute best to keep our customers happy and satisfied. In Miss George’s case, there has been a mistake in sending her a cake that was meant to be thrown away and left aside.

“The staff who packed the order were newly hired staff who had been trained but it was his day three at work. I myself was away for holiday and only been notified about this case when I returned.

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

“After Miss George called the restaurant to report this on the day she ordered, we offered to send the replacement of her order straightaway but she did not want only the replacement of order she also asked for a refund from the restaurant so we have advised and explained to Miss George that she can get her refund through Just Eat because that’s where she placed her order and that’s the way to get a refund."

The spokesperson added Clare was given her refund via JustEat on the same day she complained – and that she had been given an additional £50 voucher.

A Just Eat spokesperson added: "We take food safety extremely seriously and actively work to raise standards across the takeaway sector.

"For us, it's really important that our customers have a positive experience when ordering their food online and were sorry to hear that, in this case, this customer's experience did not reflect the high standard we would hope to deliver.

"We are contacting the customer so that we can investigate further."

Source: Read Full Article