One child dead and another hospitalised after bacterial infection hits school

  • Bookmark
  • Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to the Daily Star’s newsletter

    We have more newsletters

    A young child has sadly passed away whilst another was rushed to hospital after a rare infection broke out in a Brit school, according to reports.

    The reportedly six-year-old child who passed away was in Year 1 at the Ashford Church of England Primary School in Ashford, Surrey.

    The child was one of two who caught the invasive Group A streptococcal (iGAS) infection on Tuesday, according to reports.

    READ MORE: Putin could unleash deadly Novichok nerve agent to poison Ukrainians into surrender

    The second pupil, believed to be in the same year, is showing positive signs of recovery after being rushed to hospital.

    A third kid in the area is said to be suffering from Scarlet Fever, often caused by Strep Throat.

    Group A streptococcal (GAS) bacteria is commonly found in the throat and on the skin, although many people can carry it without illness.

    It can be spread through sneezing, kissing and skin contact.

    It can cause infections including strep throat, pneumonia and scarlet fever, and in rare cases it can develop into complications such as rheumatic fever, toxic shock syndrome and necrotising fasciitis, or flesh-eating disease.

    The UK Health Security Agency have dished out strong antibiotics to all students and staff at the school.

    Reports stated that all parents of children at the school were informed of the child's death by letter.

    • Shamima Begum's heartbroken mum is planning 'party' for daughter's return to UK

    A spokesman for the UK Health Security Agency said: "Specialists are arranging for antibiotics to be offered to pupils and staff at a Surrey school as a precautionary measure, following two cases of invasive Group A streptococcal infection (iGAS).

    "Sadly, one pupil from Ashford Church of England Primary School has died and another is in hospital, but showing positive signs of recovery."

    Dr Claire Winslade, health protection consultant at UKHSA South East, added: "We are extremely saddened to hear about the death of a pupil at Ashford Church of England School, and our thoughts are with their family, friends and the school community.

    "Information has been shared with parents about the signs and symptoms of iGAS, which include high fever with severe muscle aches, pain in one area of the body and unexplained vomiting or diarrhoea.

    "Anyone with these symptoms should call NHS111 immediately."

    To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.


    • Putin accidentally becomes most generous donor of weapons to Ukraine
    • Currys Black Friday deal sees half price slashed off the massive Samsung Frame TV

    • 15,000 Russian soldiers 'stranded and will be forced to surrender' in latest Putin blow
    • Russia 'fighting blind' as all military satellites have been hacked and taken offline
    • Students

    Source: Read Full Article