Thomas Markel has hit back at daughter Meghan following the release of her Netflix doc, saying claims made were "not true".
The Duchess of Sussex's dad took issue with a scene describing text conversations between his daughter and himself in the run-up to her wedding to Prince Harry, reports the Mail.
In the third episode of the new documentary, Meghan claimed she found out her dad wouldn't be attending her wedding through news website TMZ and that her dad's phone was "compromised" while he recovered from two consecutive heart attacks in hospital.
READ MORE: Prince William 'unlikely to repair relationship with Harry' after Netflix doc, says pal
In the show, the Duchess said she was "calling, calling, calling, and the world is watching this drama play out" as messages sent between the warring relatives were shown.
One, sent by Meghan, said: "I've been reaching out to you all weekend but you're not taking any of our calls or replying to any texts… Do you need help?… What hospital are you at?"
Another read: "Please can I ask that you stop talking to any press… You haven't returned any of our 20+ calls since we all spoke on Saturday morning; which only adds to the hurt you've been causing. We aren't angry but we do really need to speak to u. Love M and H."
Responses to the texts were also shown, with one reading: "I've done nothing to hurt you Meghan or anyone else I know nothing about 20 phone calls I'm sorry my heart attack is there […] any inconvenience for you."
Prince Harry 'wanted out of Royal Family before his mum died but Meghan was catalyst'
He then sent another message saying: "If only I had died then you guys then you guys […] could pretend to be sad."
"It was really weird. You know how people text, right?" Meghan said in the documentary.
"My dad used a lot of emojis and a lot of ellipses and dot, dot, dot, and this was just the opposite.
"And it called me Meghan. I was like 'he's never called me Meghan any day that I've lived on this planet – Meg, all my friends call me Meg and my parents call me Meg and I was like – that's not my dad'.
"So then we knew that his phone had been compromised."
But Thomas hit back at the claims, telling the Mail on Sunday Meghan's allegations are "simply not true".
"I wrote every word that I sent from that phone which is still in my possession," he said.
"For her to claim my phone was compromised is simply not true. I wrote that text as I lay in a hospital bed after having had two heart attacks and having stents put in.
"I have used Meghan's full name before, when things are serious.
"It's not true to say I have never used her full name. I use it when I am serious, when there are serious issues involved.
"I wasn't angry. I was in hospital. They never once asked how I was doing. When I got their messages I was upset. I thought I didn't deserve those messages."
He also showed the publication separate texts in which he offered to go to the UK for Meghan's wedding, despite doctors having advised him not to make the journey.
For the latest breaking news from the Royal Family and stories from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.
In one, sent on May 16, 2018 – three days before Meghan married Prince Harry – Markle wrote: "Surgery went okay heart attack did some damage they went inside and fix […] it and some [stents] the doctor will not allow me to fly so of course I'm sorry but I can't come love you and wish you the best of everything."
In a second text sent just hours later, he wrote: "Who will be giving you away? If you really need me? I will come I'm sorry about all this."
King Charles, then Prince of Wales, was the one who walked Meghan down the final portion of the aisle after she entered St George's Chapel in Windsor alone.
The Daily Star has contacted Harry and Meghan's representatives for comment.
Harry and Meghan pal calls Netflix doc 'calm and collected' with 'no trashing'
Harry claims royals said 'this won't last' after revealing he's dating 'American actress'
Trolls resurrect vile rumour James Hewitt is Prince Harry's dad as Netflix doc airs
'Desperate' Harry and Meghan 'making Princess Diana link that people just don't see'
Source: Read Full Article