A three-year-old child was struggling for life Sunday after suffering severe burns in a quick-moving, predawn fire that raced through an apartment building the Belmont neighborhood of The Bronx.
The gravely injured child, whose name and gender weren’t immediately available, was burned over 80 percent of its body, according to FDNY radio transmissions.
The injuries included second and third degree burns, the most severe. The child was rushed to Jacobi Hospital in critical condition.
Seven other people were also rushed to the hospital from the scene.
The fire broke out just before 2 a.m. on the 14th floor of a 16-story building at 725 Garden Street, part of a federal tax credit subsidized housing complex called Twin Parks.
FDNY sources said the fire likely started in a trash compactor, and spread to the building’s hallways, trapping residents on multiple floors.
“There were three floors on fire,” a 50-year-old resident who asked to be identified by her nickname, “Wygg” told The Post. ”
“Even the roof was on fire,” she said. “Somebody in the hallway was screaming, ‘Fire!’ I looked out the window and all I saw was glass falling. I open the door and here was a lot of smoke.
“Me and my daughter, we had had to run out the exit. A buck-naked man was outside bleeding. He had no clothes on and was bleeding. Some people was helping him out.”
By 3 a.m., the fire was nearly under control. At least 100 residents had poured out into the street with their pets and hurriedly-grabbed possessions. Many had run outside wearing just t-shirts and underwear, or even less — whatever they’d been sleeping in.
“I saw one lady that looked like her skin was coming off,” said Chenell Williams, 40, whose sister lives in the building. She’d rushed there after hearing of the fire.
“She was screaming,” she said. “Her back, feet and arms were burned.”
Residents shivered outside as they waited to learn the fates of their apartments.
“There were people out here with no clothes on,” Williams said.
“My friend she came out from the waist down with no clothes on. There is kids. People just ran out and didn’t think about putting on clothes. That means people were scared.”
Source: Read Full Article