Trudeau not taking kids trick-or-treating for Halloween this year due to coronavirus

As novel coronavirus cases continue to mount amid the second wave, Canadians have faced conflicting safety advice when it comes to holidays and trick-or-treating from public health officials.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says his family will not be taking the risk, and is instead “reflecting” on doing an Easter-style candy hunt for his three children.

“Listening to public health officials means that my family will not be going trick-or-treating this year,” he said, adding that Ottawa is a red zone, where local public health officials have recommended foregoing door-to-door trick-or-treating.

“We have to reduce community transmission, and unfortunately, all of us are having to make sacrifices of different types, particularly kids in really difficult situations.”

The announcement comes on the heels of a grim milestone for Canada, which saw its confirmed COVID-19 case count top 200,000 Monday evening.

As of Tuesday morning, chief public health officer Dr. Theresa Tam said there were 201,437 confirmed infections in Canada, while the death toll stood at 9,778.

Over the past week, Tam said labs across Canada have tested an average of over 75,000 people per day, with 3.1 per cent of patients testing positive.

Out of the 3,289 cases reported to the federal government on Monday, Tam said 866 were the result of backlogs sustained over the weekend.

On average, she said more than 950 people were being treated in Canadian hospitals at any given time over the last week, with close to 200 in critical care. Tam said the country averaged at 22 deaths per day.

More to come. 

Source: Read Full Article